Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tuna Casserole (non-dairy)

So anyways, I had a baby and life is never the same afterwards. I am just now beginning to understand what my mother did for me. Well, my baby actually let me cook dinner today. He doesn't do that very often. Admittedly, I had to show him each step after I finished it and take several breaks to attend to his needs- but I cooked dinner today. Let me say that again: I cooked dinner, with a baby and nobody else to help, and got it in the oven before 6. It's been a good day.

Tuna Casserole (non-dairy)
*Most of the amounts are approximate, I didn't measure anything.
Saucepan
Can opener
Knife and cutting board
Boiling pot of water (for noodles)
Casserole dish (9X13)  
Little bit of butter 
1 cup celery (chopped, I like to use the leafy part) 
1/2 green pepper (chopped) 
2 green onions (chopped) 
1 small can of mushrooms (chopped) 
1/2 cup coconut milk 
1/4-1/2 cup water 
1 tsp pepper 
1 tsp garlic salt 
1 tsp hot sauce 
Noodles 
 2 cans of tuna fish 
1/3 cup mayonnaise 
1/2 cup Corn flakes or other crunchy topping
Melt the butter in a saucepan and sweat (cook on medium-low heat) the vegetables and mushrooms. When the veggies are bright green and a little bit wilted, add the coconut milk and just enough water to thin it to a soupy consistency (coconut milk is thick stuff). Add the spices and hot sauce. Let it simmer while you cook some noodles. Turn the oven on to 350 degrees. When the noodles are done, drain them. Open up two cans of tuna fish and stir into the sauce. Take the sauce OFF the heat and add 1/3 cup of mayonnaise mixing well. Then coat the noodles in the sauce (I just did it in the casserole dish) making sure all of the noodles are covered in sauce. Put it in the oven for 20-30 minutes. If you want to add cheese to the top (like I did to my husband's side of the casserole) add it 5 minutes before the casserole is done. Since everything is already cooked, you're looking for golden brown/bubbly to tell when it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it clean.
I love to hear from you!